Sunday, April 14, 2013

Straight up 'tude

I want to talk about attitudes. Not just attitudes, but specifically actions that affect attitudes. We learned about 3 of these concepts in class this week, and I found them to be interesting because after I thought about them, I really do see that situations like this occur throughout life (and not to mention they give me a few more techniques for getting stuff outta my parents).

There is the foot-in-the-door phenomenon. This is where people have a tendency to agree to a small action at first, but then agree to a larger action later. So if you asked someone if they'd let you live with them for a year, they'd say "you're a lunatic." But if you first asked to live with them for a week, and then a month, and then a year, by that point they may agree to the largest request of one year. 

The door-in-the-face phenomenon is where people tend to agree to a second request if the second one is much smaller than the first. From my point of view, this stems from an idea that in general, people naturally have a little sympathy, and don't want to totally leave a person totally hanging. So if you asked Kobe Bryant for his autograph, he might say no. However, if you first asked Kobe to go out to dinner with him and he was all like "no way dawg," and then you said, "well, can I at least get your John Hancock?", he might agree to that smaller request after having turned down your dinner offer. 

Then there is yet another case where action affects attitude: brainwashing. Brainwashing is being forced or told to do something, and after doing the action so much without even agreeing with the reason you are doing it, one often develops a passion for the subject just through doing the action. So take "I Wanna Become a Hindu University" for example.  If Jilokatana's parents forced him to go there, and then Jilokatana had to pray the Hindu way every day, Jilokatana may start believing in the Hindu customs just by being forced to do the actions so much. 

So attitudes change with the way you act and the way others act around you. And if you know these concepts, you can get what you want and make people agree to what you want in life. 

1 comment:

  1. All of these phenomena I find to be really fascinating. I have noticed the Door in the Face phenomenon occur many times. In class when I ask if the test is going to be "in two Fridays from now or next Friday," when it is really tomorrow, I know that the teacher will usually think for a second, "hmmm, the test is the earlier of the two dates he proposed." I believe that is what the Door in the Face phenomenon is, though I am not 100% certain.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.