Sunday, April 14, 2013

Attitudes affect actions

        There is a technique that proves that attitudes do in fact affect our actions: it is called the low ball technique. Let me give you an example. Let's say I offer an amazing deal to my friend for my computer on Friday. I say that I have a black macbook and a white macbook, and I am willing to sell you my black macbook for only 300 dollars. You obviously say of course. So, I say I'll get back to you on Sunday so we can do this transaction. The whole weekend, you are so excited to get this new awesome computer. Your attitude is, "I am going to get a new computer soon!" Then, you come to me on Sunday saying, "Let's do this transaction." I respond that I want to keep my black macbook, but you could buy my white macbook for 400 dollars. This technique works, and you will usually respond yes because you were so excited for the entire weekend to get a new computer, so you'd be willing to pay just a little more than you agreed on to stick to your attitude. Your attitude that you were going to get a new computer affected your action of purchasing it for more than the original offered price. This is a genius technique that I would love to pull off. Atitudes do in fact affect our actions.

1 comment:

  1. I love this technique. Though many find it immoral, including Mrs. Perl, I find it ingenious. It's just an effective way to manipulate people into giving you exactly what you want. There is generally no long-term harm done, so where is the problem with it?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.