Sunday, April 29, 2012

Social Facilitation



There are 5 tics left on the clock and your team is down by one point. The coach calls a time-out and goes over the last play of the game. The coach tells you he’s going with you! It’s in your hands! The whole season comes down to this one basketball game, to this one final play. Win here and your team goes on to the next round in the tournament. Lose here and the season’s over. The crowd is going crazy. Both benches are on their feet. Finally, you get the ball and nail the shot!

Haven't you ever wondered how basketball players can undergo so much pressure and yet still pull through?? I always tell my parents not to come to my basketball games because it makes me too nervous, and then I just throw the ball in the air. This brings us to social facilitation. These professional basketball players are so talented that the crowd and the pressure actually help them!! However, I wonder if there is a difference between the crowd being on your side or against you. Aside from being physically fit and strong, I'm sure these players also have a lot of mental toughness. They don't freak out every time they miss a shot, they just move on and wait for their next open shot. They have to reassure themselves that it is okay and that they are still a great player. So why do people 'boo' the opposing player shooting the free throw? I actually have no idea. If all the fans took Mrs. Perl's psychology class they would know that their 'boo''s and distractions are only helping the player make the shot! Poor fans..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.