Friday, April 27, 2012

Finished! What I liked...

This week, something exciting happened- we took our last chapter test and finished the book! Now all we have  to do is study for the AP, which is one week, and then we are done. Since we are reviewing all chapters now, I decided that I would share just a few of the things that I found interesting when we learned.

1. The Nature Nurture Debate: I liked chapter 3 because I really liked reading about the adoption studies and the twin studies, and the twins who were separated at birth. The book talked about a few different cases of identical twins who never knew each other but were living very similar lives. I particularly liked the following story: One of the brothers explained his obsessive cleaning by saying that it was in reaction to his adopted mother, who was a complete slob. The other brother explained his obsessive cleaning by saying that it was because of his mother, who was a complete neat freak. Genetics at work... :)

2. I liked chapters 5 and 6, because although at the time it was all very confusing, it's actually really interesting to know how we sense and perceive the world around us. Now we know all about wavelengths, frequencies, the color spectrum, pitch, and things that we are actually doing in Dr. Braby's class! Also, I just find it fascinating that we can perceive so much and without effort.

3. I loved learning about the psychological disorders, because although they are weird they are all fascinating.

4. I liked learning about operant conditioning, because one week later I went to the zoo and I knew how they trained the seals to do the tricks at the seal show.

5. I liked chapter 18 because it's all fascinating, the bystander effect, the chameleon effect, social loafing and social facilitation...

We learned so much, and in one week we are going to take an AP and get 5s!!! School is almost over :)

1 comment:

  1. Zahava-
    What a positive and exciting blog post! I cannot believe we have finished the book and that the AP is in a week! (Ahh!) I also really liked learning about the nature nurture debate. I really liked how it came up on almost every chapter such as language acquisition and personality disorders. I also really liked chapter 18 on social psychology. All year we kept mentioning the BIO-PSYCHO-SOCIAL approach and briefly discussed the social aspect. However, it wasn't until chapter 18 where we really got to learn some cool theories, experiments and even terms! I loved how a lot of it applied to our everyday lives. I think I can write a story from my life about each of the terms in the chapter. Happy studying everyone!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.