Monday, February 20, 2012

Phobias

Phobias are intense fears of almost anything that can develop in childhood and even in adulthood. The most frustrating thing about a phobia is that it is impossible to make it go away! Some people have phobias of closed spaces or heights. I personally have this strange phobia of dirty places (especially kitchens and bathrooms!) These phobias could be really bad because they might take over one's life. They could cause people to change the way they live just because of their phobia! Phobias are generally irrational. For example, if one has a fear of potentially dangerous dogs, that is normal. However, if one still has a fear of dogs, even if the dog is clearly harmless, like a poodle, it is considered more of a phobia.
I definitely think that phobias are a waste of time! If a person has a specific phobia that takes over their daily life choices, it could be pretty annoying and even scary. I have found that by exposing oneself to a phobia that they have repeatedly could actually help a person get over their fears.
I definitely cannot relate to most people's fears because I am not afraid of heights or tight spaces or most animals, but if you do have a phobia, it is important to try to work it out because the thought of a phobia taking over someone's life is a little bit scary!

go to this website to find out some really interesting phobias. There are so many out there, it's crazy!
http://phobialist.com/

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you. I also do not have phoneas like that therefore I do not clearly understand why people have them and why they cannot just get over them!

    I clicked on the phobea link and I thought the Anablephobia- Fear of looking up is especially weird since I do not understand why looking up should cause fear! There are so many crazy things in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahah i looked at some of these phobias and i actually got so sad. these people are such Nebs that they have these phobias. But i am totally with you on this one, phobias can sometimes be so superfluous and annoying. For example, i have this intense yet absolutely unreasonable fear of spiders. All those legs freak me out and when they start walking i just SCREAM uncontrollably, no matter how big or small they are. It is so stupid, yet so serious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so true. Phobias are really annoying. However, like Mrs. Perl, I have a phobia of hotels. I don't know why but they give me the jitters. Just the thought of all those people using the same the shower, sleeping in the same bed, etc freaks me out. I brought my own blanket and towel on the shabbaton. If I come prepared like that, I am less stressed. At least I know how to minimize the stress! :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.