Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Difficulty Communicating

Hello everyone,
I would like to bring up a topic that comes about in daily life, and I'm sure everyone, or almost everyone can relate to this. We learned that we communicate with people through facial expressions, gestures, and our tone of voice, which helps us have regular conversations and solve daily issues. However, since we are living in the 21st century now, everybody tends to do much of their communicating through the Internet. Whether it is e-mailing for school or a job, or chatting with friends on facebook, we use the computer to talk for us. This means that we are not able to truly communicate our feeling. Simple emoticons like :) ;) or :P might be friendly smileys that we like to use when trying to convey our emotions in a message, but do they really speak for us?
Communicating in this way seems to be a huge issue, in my opinion, because people cannot truly express themselves. I find that many people are afraid of confrontation when they get in fights with friends, so it is easiest to text or chat about it instead. But, this is not necessarily the truth because words in texts/ online can have one meaning to one person and another meaning to the next person. This is all very difficult!
So, I have come to the conclusion that it is probably best to try to resolve problems, or have meaningful/ important conversations in person, so that each person in the conversation can get a true understanding of what is going on.

2 comments:

  1. Aviva,
    I love this blog! It is so relevant and true. It's interesting because I was just telling Mrs. Perl that I hate talking on the phone because it is just so awkward and I never know what to say. This is why I think the best solution is to just speak in person. However, this is easier said than done. When talking online people do not always get the right idea because they don't know how/what you are feeling and what emotion you're trying to express. For example, if I end a sentence with a period instead of an exclamation point someone might assume that I'm being cold or short with them when I really am not. People also use technology to say things that they would never say in person because it is just 'easier.' This causes a lot of cyber-bullying which damages people greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!
    i totally agree with your blog!
    I am the kind of person who hates having relationships that are only based upon texting or calling one another. I think in order to have a legitimate and intimate relationship with another person, knowing ones' gestures and facial expressions is crucial. When i think about aviva for example and picture her in my head, i think about the way her face looks when she laughs, complains, thinks or is embarrassed. In order to be able to picture those facial expressions i need to be able to SEE her do it at least once. And then once you think of that person and their specific facial expressions and gestures thats what makes you love them and their unique and special attributes.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.