Monday, February 27, 2012

Freud- My Opinion

Well, this is the first time I have actually learned about what Freud said. I cannot understand why everyone thinks of Freud when they think of psychology- he seems to have some pretty radical and wrong ideas. Some things might be true, like repression. People do repress memories. But not sexual desire for parents they had when they were 6. Absolutely not.

For those people out there who say Freud might actually be right about everything having to do with sex- Freud decided that when you are six, you have sexual desires for the parent of the opposite sex, and because you are ashamed you repress the memory. Aside from the fact that I don't think it's true because little kids don't know what sex is- there are teenagers who don't know!- there is a major flaw in Freud's assumption. He didn't study/observe children. Also, everything was hindsight bias because he didn't conduct an experiment. I think we read that he just observed, and didn't follow the rules of the scientific method.

We can't take anything he says as the truth.

Also, I think, and this is not true!!!! I think that Freud was abused by one of his parents when he was a boy, and because of this he tried to search for a way to explain that sexual abuse isn't really abuse and that it is just a natural stage children go through, and everything is sexual blah blah. Maybe one of his parents sexually abused him. Anyways, I really don't like this fellow.

2 comments:

  1. Zahava-
    I completely agree with you. Freud's ideas certainly boggle my mind. Everything he believes is so extreme and I think that is what scares me the most about him. The fact that everything also has a sexual component behind everything just creeps me out. Although we find Freud's ideas to be crazy and misguided, I think we must acknowledge him. He paved the way in researching personality and led Neo Freudians and other psychologists to continue researching personality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with Alexa on this one. I think that Freud was way too extreme. His need to put a sexual meaning to every little detail in life bugs me a lot because this is simply not true! But, think about it, he came up with many ideas, as Alexa said, that helped pave the way for other psychologists. They were able to take what he said and turn it around. He based everything that he said on the past and what he observed, but was not able to make scientific studies or find ways to prove his theories. This goes to show that we cannot trust what he said, but we can definitely think about it and pick out the good and bad thing, his flaws and his strengths!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.