Monday, February 27, 2012

Personality Tests

On television there are a lot of commercials for dating websites. The commercials explain that all you have to do is take a personality test on their website and they will match you with someone with the most similar results. I find this crazy. First of all, I do not believe that you can truly know someone's personality strictly from a test. I really think you must KNOW the person. When we had to describe our personality by listing our positive and negative qualities, I had a really hard time. I couldn't just think of a few words that fit perfectly to me. I think I've shared this with everyone, but I always have a hard time finding the right words because I don't think that words can fit the way we are/our emotions exactly. (I'm sorry if this makes no sense, but it's just something that has always bothered me.) This is the main reason why I think a personality test is not affective. Also, maybe you do not want to date someone who is exactly like you, or seems to be the most compatible. We learned in Chumash that the Ezer Kenegdo is supposed to fill in your missing parts in a way, to tell you when you are doing something wrong. If you have almost the same personalities you might not be able to fill in each other's gaps. Overall, I do not think a personality test can accurately explain and identify who you really are. I think you are the only one who knows that, not a test. We use the term personality pretty loosely in our daily lives. However, after just two days of discussing personality, I have learned that it is actually a very complex and difficult idea that I am excited to really understand!

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you, this does not make sense at all, but I guess they just want to find general things people have in common

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personality in Psychology
    What is personality in Psychology? , define personality, importances of personality,
    http://www.infoaw.com/article.php?articleId=915

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.