So, I found this little video that it short and I am not exactly sure what language it is in, but it was cute and short. It's about the Id, the Ego and the Superego. What came to mind for me when we learned about this was the angel and devil telling a person what to do. It was a very interesting class that Mrs. Perl taught! She took on the role of the Id as the "cool" frat dude who loves to party all day long, and the superego is the perfect little school girl, who does everything right. The ego seems to be somewhere in between, but I guess we have to learn more about it in class! I though that Freud's ideas were very extreme, and, as we learned, he did not really do research to come up with these ideas. They are just his theories. They seem to make sense because a lot of times in life, we compare the good and bad choices that we can make in life to the angel and devil on our shoulders. However, Freud's approach seems slightly, almost scary, because he thinks that we have a psychosexual development that we undergo in addition to all of the craziness that goes on with out personalities. This development shapes our personalities in the sense that, if we develop properly, we will have a "normal" personality, but if we get stuck at a stage in development, we will be a little bit "off" in some way...This is all very interesting in a weird way!
here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KovpyKWuueg&feature=related
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteAviva-what an interesting video!! The characters are almost as energetic as Mrs. Perl was in class on Friday. I also find Freud's ideas to be scary and over-exaggerated. It kind of reminds me of the scale we would draw in kindergarten before the high holidays. Everything either goes in the good or bad pile. There's is no in between. One theme that repeats itself a lot in psychology is that nothing is black or white, there's a lot of grey areas. For example, nature and nurture combined makes up who we are. With Freud's idea there seems to be no middle ground, and I think that is what bothers me the most.
ReplyDeleteOh Alexa! What a wonderful analogy with the latter. I completely agree with you that Freud's ideas are a little too black and white and that he leaves no room for the grey areas. As for your post Aviva, i just wanted to say that in a way i do agree with the way Freud depicts our id, ego and superego. It also made me understand even further why children are often egocentric as we have learned in chapter 4 in Piaget's preconventional stage.Although Freud seems very extreme and crazy i admire the outlook he had on the world.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed this video. I think that you should respect Freud for his ideas including the ones you find crazy since you do not agree with them. I also like Carmit think that for example the ideas of the ego, id and superego, are very true.
ReplyDelete