This week we discussed sensation and perception. There are thousands of things that we sense, so why don't we go crazy? We are constantly being bombarded by sensations. What do we pay attention to? If we are sitting at the table doing homework, we are not focused on the phone. But when the phone rings or buzzes we turn immediately to get it. Although we are constantly sensing things, the brain can get rid of information that's not important and you perceive only what is important.
But what happens when during class, as the teacher gives over important information, a light begins to flicker and buzz quietly? You would tune out the buzzing and light flicking. But what if you cannot? What if your attention jumps from the teacher to the light, and from the light to the hum of the computer, and then back to the teacher, and then the light, and then the computer again?
Imagine how hard it would be if you could not filter what you do or do not perceive. I just wanted to let you think about how hard that would be...never able to focus on one single thing. Imagine trying to take a test, or take notes...
But what happens when during class, as the teacher gives over important information, a light begins to flicker and buzz quietly? You would tune out the buzzing and light flicking. But what if you cannot? What if your attention jumps from the teacher to the light, and from the light to the hum of the computer, and then back to the teacher, and then the light, and then the computer again?
Imagine how hard it would be if you could not filter what you do or do not perceive. I just wanted to let you think about how hard that would be...never able to focus on one single thing. Imagine trying to take a test, or take notes...
This is very true. It must be extremely hard to concentrate in class, but we spoke about how this does tend to be a characteristic of ADD. It is difficult to focus one's attention fully on the teacher because of everything else going on around them. Thank God it is not too hard for me to pay attention in class, even though I do get distracted sometimes. I think if we all had this issue we would be in serious trouble when it came to learning in school!
ReplyDeleteZahava this is a very important point! Everyone has a little ADD in them, but some are more extreme than others. When I am taking a test, there needs to be COMPLETE silence. Every little noise bothers me and I therefore lose my train of thought. It gets really annoying! Also, when I am trying to fall asleep there needs to be complete silence and the room must be pitch dark. This is why in camp I have sleeping issues because I have to wait until everyone in the bunk is asleep! Sad times for Alexa. However, I am also very thankful that I don't have a major case of ADD and manage to finish that test.
ReplyDeletedear zed,
ReplyDeletei actually wanted to write about that at first because it just amazes me that some people are able to block out certain sensations while others cant. Sometimes i simply cannot focus if there is talking going on in the classroom or even in the hallway. Often if im thinking about something else that is bothering i completely loose my focus and i get so frustrated. i obviously dont have ADD or anything but i sometimes wonder that if i get so frustrated by these little things that get me to loose focus, then how must a person with ADD or ADHD feel since they are physically unable to perceive almost anything.