Monday, November 28, 2011

Hello my dear fellow classmates,

So as we all know we are learning about sleep and dreams this lovely week. I actually discovered something very interesting about a certain person (didn’t want me to blog about that person so we will just call her CLARA) and felt the need to blog about it. Clara has had insomnia (trouble falling asleep) since she was about twelve years old. This happens to many people for many different reasons and is therefore not the thing that fascinates me so much. Clara has the ability to lie down, close her eyes, and go DIRECTLY into REM. She doesn’t have to go through the stages that we must go to in order to reach REM, it happens automatically. Therefore, she can only sleep about two hours a night and not feel tired at all since REM stage is very crucial in order for us to feel rested. I must say that I am very jealous of Clara. I always felt that we waste so much time on sleeping and I hate the fact that we need so much sleep in order to feel rested. I would love to go directly to REM for about two hours every night and then I’ll be able to accomplish so much more throughout the day while feeling completely rested. What do you think about Clara’s situation?

3 comments:

  1. I think it is really cool that this person can go directly into REM and then still feel relaxed. If only I could have REM sleep all night.

    On the other hand, sometimes dreams are weird and I wish I hadn't remembered my dreams, because they are just really weird.

    I also like that feeling when you hallucinate before you actually fall asleep and then you hear a noise and open your eyes and think you were asleep but realize you were hallucinating, and then you get to close your eyes and go back into sleep. I love the feeling of snuggling in bed for hours at a time on Friday nights when I am tired after a long week of school, or staying in bed, unconscious, during the cold winter month.

    That was my ode to sleep.

    But REM is also pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so interesting! I have never heard of anyone like this before...I think that it would be nice to be able to go straight into REM, have a few lovely dreams, then wake up. However, I might get bored with this. While everyone is sleeping through the night, I would be awake all alone At first it might be fun. You know, I could watch a lot of TV shows, and save my homework for later, but I think it would not be so awesome all the time. It would be cool if everyone were like this though! The world would be a different place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As cool as this sounds, it is not the healthiest thing for Clara. When you think of things having stages, it is always weird when you find a case when the first couple stages are skipped. It doesn't make much sense. I like when things have order and this seems like it is 'messing' with the system. Even though we do waste a lot of time sleeping, I still think it is crucial so that we can live healthy, strong lives. Not only would I get bored in the middle of the night, like Aviva said, but I will also be very frustrated. Sometimes, even when we are not necessarily tired, we have a desire to just sleep. Sleep is relaxing and nice and it helps you feel rejuvenated. Zahava- how do you possibly like the feeling when you hallucinate before you fall asleep!?!?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.