I don't know if the following story is true or not, but I was interested in how the ear magically receives energy signals and turns them into chemical messages and then we can hear. I mean, I understand the process but it is a miracle that it worked out that way, if you think about it. So anyways, I was just looking up ears and I found the following story. I will summarize it and put the link if you want to read it.
Joshua Bull was born almost deaf and without ears, and doctors restored his hearing and gave him artificial ears. He was born with small misshapen flaps of skin for ears, as well as blocked ear canals which meant he could hardly hear a thing. Surgeons inserted one bone-anchored hearing aid to his skull, bypassing the blocked ear canal and enabling him to hear. Then they fitted him with ears that he can just take on and off like glasses.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-563391/How-boy-born-ears-hear--beat-bullies--thanks-artificial-ears.html
So, we should appreciate our ears every day and also appreciate the miracle of hearing and medical science. This little boy was 7, I believe, when he could hear, and he was delighted.
Isn't this nice and inspiring?
Don't you think that everything we learn about is a miracle? Our bodies can do these amazing things automatically... it's unbelievable.
Joshua Bull was born almost deaf and without ears, and doctors restored his hearing and gave him artificial ears. He was born with small misshapen flaps of skin for ears, as well as blocked ear canals which meant he could hardly hear a thing. Surgeons inserted one bone-anchored hearing aid to his skull, bypassing the blocked ear canal and enabling him to hear. Then they fitted him with ears that he can just take on and off like glasses.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-563391/How-boy-born-ears-hear--beat-bullies--thanks-artificial-ears.html
So, we should appreciate our ears every day and also appreciate the miracle of hearing and medical science. This little boy was 7, I believe, when he could hear, and he was delighted.
Isn't this nice and inspiring?
Don't you think that everything we learn about is a miracle? Our bodies can do these amazing things automatically... it's unbelievable.
Zahava-
ReplyDeleteI completely agree! This week, as Mrs. Perl was teaching us how we perceive sound, color, pain, etc, I was amazed. Each minor detail is so important. It is very cool.
I wonder how the boy adjusted once he was able to hear. I mean, he did go through about seven years without sound. It must be pretty weird just one day being able to hear!
I also agree that we should really appreciate all of our abilities. Sometimes we forget how blessed we are that we are able to hear. My grandfather has a very hard time hearing. Whenever we are all at the dinner table having conversation, you can tell that he has no idea what any one is saying. I can't even imagine sitting at a dinner table when there's a sudden burst of laughter and not knowing what the joke is.