Monday, November 7, 2011

Hello my dear fellow classmates,
So this week we learned about perception and sensation. It is just so amazing to me that we sense things continuously throughout our day without even noticing it. When you really pay attention, tehre is SO MUCH going on around you and it is just shocking that our mind doesnt go crazy from the overwhelming amount of things we can sense. Excluding those who have ADD or ADHD, most of us can block out the things that we sense and dont want to focus on. Here is my question though: Whenever we are taking a test, i strictly remember that Alexa(probably among other people as well) would never be able to focus if there was noise around us, even if it wasnt severe. However, Rory from Gilmore Girls was able to focus on reading her book even though a fire alarm went off right next to her and a boy fainted five feet from her. How come some people can perceive things without any distraction to a much deeper extent than others?
In addition, i would like to bring up another question. So you know how some teachers like Mr. Vaughn or Mr. Perl were able to write something on the board while a student asks a completely different question? How can they focus on both things at the same time whereas other teachers need to stop writing to listen to the question and be able to focus? I am unable to liaten to soemone tell em a story while texting another friend, or listen to music while i study. Yet Sade, for example, can text someone while i tell her a story and while she is listening to music and reading wall post on facebook? How come she can multitask and perceive so many things while i can only perceive one thing at a time?

2 comments:

  1. Carmit-
    Such great questions this week! I would first like to thank you for that shout out! I think people who are able to multi-task are the people who aren't sensitive to sound. For example, I am very sensitive to sound. When people click their pens in class, I am completely distracted and unable to zone in on the teacher. I am also not able to multi task. I also think it has to do with patience. People who are patient and "mellow" are probably more likely to multi-task because they can handle all of the noises around them and not become flustered. We always say that Sade is so "chill." Well, maybe this is correlated with her ability to do many things at once without being bothered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question.
    I am also able to do many things at once. In fact, I was just doing my math homework while watching law and order and texting my friend.

    I also noticed, that as Alexa pointed out, sometimes i don't perceive sound. I was babysitting at the Kampfs the other night and Jack was listening to really loud music. An hour later I looked up from my work and suddenly realized that the music had stopped, and had probably been off for a while. But I didn't even notice!

    Weird... but sometimes the little noises really bother me, but maybe it's just because I am already in an irritated mood.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.