Thursday, November 17, 2011

Fallingggggg

I don't know about you, but I sometimes experience what I think of as dreams where I am falling into nothingness. This is pretty crazy and I often am woken up by this or jump in my sleep! It is very odd, but I always assume that it is just some type of dream and move on with my life. However, while reading about the different stages of sleep, I noticed that the idea of falling or feeling like you are floating was mentioned. Stage one of our sleep does not include dreams. It is the lightest stage of sleep and only last about five minutes. During this time we are able to experience different hallucinations. So, I learned that the sensation of falling that I feel sometimes in my sleep in not a dream, but a hallucination! This seems pretty cool to me. I usually think of hallucinations as something that happens to crazy people, but apparently it happens to many people all the time! Since it is such a light sleep, one might easily wake up with a feeling of confusion and wonder what just happened..Well now you know!

4 comments:

  1. I had a falling dream just last week, and it was weird because I haven't had one in a while. I was on a boat and I was going to jump into the water, but when I let go it was actually a million miles to drop and then I woke up. Thanks for explaining why that happens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aviva-
    This actually happens to me all the time! It's the weirdest thing. I feel like I'm falling, and I automatically hold on to the sides of my bed so I don't fall off. My head and stomach also get that feeling you get when you're on a roller coaster. Also, these hallucinations that you explained make me really hot and sweaty which is actually so gross. I found this chapter so cool and interesting. It answers a lot of questions that we think about daily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alexa- I totally agree with you ths chapter was amazing!

    Aviva and Zahava I have these dreams too, it is so crazy, but I always thought its a hellucination ( no highnsight bias!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wanted to add on to this that yes, I often have that feeling where youre like falling in your sleep. But even worse than that feeling is when you want to scream in order for someone to hear you yet suddenly you have no voice. Or even worse, youre trying to run away from something but your kegs suddenly wont allow you to move. Have you guys ever experienced that? It stresses me out just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.