Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Working Memory



I came across an interesting article about working memory. In this article, it states that, just as we learned yesterday, working memory is "decidedly finite," much like our flashlight example. This has a lot to do with our problem solving skills and our ability to focus. Apparently, as Jennifer Wiley and Andrew Jarosz of the University of Illinois at Chicago found out, it also has a lot to do with how we solve mathematical and creative problems.

Interestingly, working memory has a lot to do with solving math problems and thinking analytically. High working memory capacity has to do with better mathematical problem solving. It also helps focus attention and keep people from being distracted.

However, high working memory capacity appears to hinder creative thinking, such as creative, out-of-the box problem solving. Because creative thinking can require seeing the bigger picture, thinking of a totally new approach, or analyzing different, random pieces of information, people with higher working memory capacity find this difficult because they are to focused in to what they are doing or a specific way of thinking. As it turns out, too much focus can make creative problem solving hard. 

I find this very interesting, because it helps explain how I think, as well as other people that are not mathematically inclined. I do have trouble focusing on concepts occasionally, and math is challenging to understand for me. I find that I have a talent at approaching  problems creatively and finding unusual solutions and approaches. Perhaps I don't have a higher working memory capacity. How interesting!

3 comments:

  1. Here is the link to this article:
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/08/120807132209.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is interesting. What do you think that means about architects? I mean, their job is to be creative but it also takes math and equations and thinking analytically to design buildings and structures. Maybe they're just super people. It's cool that working memories have more if an effect on us than just allowing us to connect short term memories with long term memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do believe that everyone's working memory works, unless there is damage to your brain. Though some people memory works differently. It kind of the way you picture things. If you picture things with numbers then you will have a great working memory when it comes to that. If you picture things in shapes then you will have a great working memory with things already like that. So I don't think your working memory doesn't work you just need to figure out away to make it work stronger. So does everyone.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.