Sunday, December 1, 2013

Watch and Learn

I find myself to learn more by watching other people do something and I try to mimic it. When it comes to being taught to do something, I get too caught up in the instructions and trying to pay attention to making sure that I'm doing it right. I like watching how other people do it and then trying to figure it out from there. In my piano lessons, when my teacher is teaching me a song and he plays it, I will watch him playing it rather than following with the notes. In the end, it's not such a good thing because I end up not learning how to read the notes, rather just memorize where his fingers were placed on the keys and playing that.

Learning by watching others can be something so dangerous. Kids with aggressive parents become aggressive people. Kids who play video games can become kids with so many anger and violence issues. If they get in trouble for it, they can just tell the person that told them to stop that their mommy or daddy also does those types of things and that means it's not wrong.

It also can be dangerous with peer experiences. If you see your friend drinking or using drugs and you see that they can tolerate it, no problems, you might think that it's okay because your friend was fine so you will also be fine. That is very wrong because everyone has different tolerance levels. Just because your friend was fine doesn't mean you will be because your tolerance level may be much lower.

Learning by watching others can also be something so great. If a parent is a good person and they do kind things for others, the kids might mimic their behavior and do kind things for others. Learning by observing can go either way, good or bad, it all depends on who you are observing. If a kid is taught only by observing, I don't believe they will get so far in life. If they only know how to do things because of what others do, they won't ever learn how to do things on their own.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.