Friday, January 18, 2013

Sleep

Many people, including myself, struggle with waking up in the morning. Learning about the sleep cycle and the way our sleep cycle works allowed me to adjust the time I go to sleep, or wake up, so that morning would be a little easier. Our bodies run through a certain cycle each day in fluctuation body temperature, release of hormones, tiredness, hunger, and more. Our varying levels of sleepiness are controlled by the amount of melatonin released by our bodies. When sleeping our bodies also go through a cycle, going through 5 different sleep stages. The longer we sleep the more REM sleep, stage 5 sleep, we get as the amount of NREM we get slowly disappears. After each period of REM sleep our bodies slightly wale up, making it easier to be fully woken up. Each cycle takes roughly 90 minutes. I have been able to adjust the time I wake up in the morning so it is as close to a multiple of 90 minutes as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.