Sunday, January 6, 2013

Seriously?

Seriously Chomsky? Seriously? You seriously think that our ability to communicate through language is innate? That's just stupid. Almost as stupid as you being as anti-Zionistic as you are. Riddle me this professor know it all, why don't we come out of the womb speaking? Why can't I pop out of my mom and ask the doctor what the hell is going on? Because speaking is not innate. I'm not particularly a Skinner fan, but he wins this argument. Skinner says that our ability to speak comes through operant learning, it comes through experience and rewards for speaking. Skinner is an idiot too, you can't say that cognition doesn't exist, but he's right in this. The only reason we learn how to speak is because we mimic what we grow up hearing. We learn to say things that our parents say. Is it fascination that we pick up on grammatical structure without being taught it? Yeah, sure. But that isn't nearly enough prove to legitimize Chomsky's proposal that language ability is innate. The only reason I learned how to do what I'm doing now, communicate through language, is because I've learned the language my entire life. There is nothing inside of me that was made at my conception that allows me to speak so fiercely and critically of Chomsky. I learned how to use language through experience. Through mimicking. I don't know what my first word was, but I am positive that it was met with, "Oh my God Sidney, he talked! He talked! He said ball! Oh my God!" As a child, receiving that (excessive) praise for saying a simple 4 letter word does nothing but compel me to do it again. If my parents are happy, it means more candy. There's nothing innate about that.

1 comment:

  1. My thoughts exactly Gabe G! I think Skinner, though highly influential, doesn't usually know what he's talking about regarding cognition. However, in this case, he's right. And Chomsky is a weirdo, a "high functioning sociopath" just without the charm.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.