Hiya, kids!
As we've been learning all about psychology, I've found myself recognizing these psychological concepts when they occur in my life. Above all, chapter 14 is by far the most relatable chapter. All this stuff really does happen!! I guess someone decided one day to give names to all these phenomena so that a bunch of students would have to memorize them for their AP Psychology exam one day.
Let's take social loafing for example. I loaf all the time!!! I am loaf. Loaf is me. Sometimes I'll be working on a collective Google doc and suddenly find myself scrolling through Buzzfeed because I just assume someone else in the group is doing something productive. Then I usually feel bad and get back on track. But really, happens all the time.
Another concept that is just like "yaaaas" is the fundamental attribution error. I definitely fall prey to this sometimes. Especially if it's a person I don't particularly like very much. If they do something annoying, I'll usually think, "Ughhh, they're just the worst," even if it's a little unfair to think that way. What's interesting, though, is that if one of my friends were to do the same annoying thing I would probably brush it aside and soon forget about it. Which kind of ties into ingroup bias, because of course my friends are better/smarter/more likeable than your friends and can really do no wrong.
It's crazy to me how complex social psychology is. Our interactions with others can be so biased and honestly kind of mean. The human race can be such a female dog. There's such a strange system to everything social. It's weird to think about how affected we are by the people around us. Kinda makes you want to live in isolation sometimes, doesn't it? I don't know if I'm making any sense or if this is just one of those situations where it's hard to put my mind-boggling thoughts into words and y'all are probably thinking "Okay, Lily, stop typing already" so I'll stop. Thanks for reading! Don't loaf too hard.
What is wrong with you????????
ReplyDeletethings
ReplyDelete