Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Bystander Effect

As I was scrolling through my Facebook newsfeed I stumbled across a video that I thought would relate  to exactly what we are learning about in class. In class, we learned about the bystander effect - people feel that since there are more people around, more people will help. 

We learned about the case of Kitty Genovese and how she was being raped and murdered in the middle of New York city, and everyone thought someone else was going to help her since there were other people around. The people in their apartment buildings could have heard her, but they thought the other people in the apartment buildings would have helped her. No one helped her until it was too late and she had fatal wounds. 

When I first started watching this video, I thought it was going to be exactly Kitty Genovese's case where since there are so many people around no one will help out and the bystander effect will occur. To my surprise, I was wrong. At first, the people who saw the young boy freezing, just stood there and did nothing. After a while, they began to notice him and they began to take responsibility and give him clothes off their back and giving it to the boy so that he could stay warm. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.