As I was surfing around the internet this morning, I found a video on youtube that explained the 10 most common nightmares and what causes them. A lot of what causes them can be explained by Freud's wishful thinking theory, in which latent content emerges and tells your messages while you sleep causing you to think about them.
- Taking a test - The reason a lot of people dream about taking big tests and more often, failing a big test is because of lack or fear of self-confidence. This shows that a lot of us have a sense of being underprepared for what life throws at us and we are not able to reach our full potential.
- A parter cheating on you - This nightmare occurs when you think your partner isn't paying enough attention to you. The latent content of this nightmare would be that you should spend more time with one another.
- Flying - This shows that one always wants to be in control of his/her own destiny. This dream also shows that one always wants some sort of freedom. What happens when you start flying and you fall to the ground? This shows that we are out of control of our own destiny.
- Dying - Some people believe that dreaming of death tells people that they need to make positive changes in their life. The nightmare of dying is similar to taking a test in which it indicates a sense of failure in life.
- Spiders - Having a nightmare about spiders is usually telling you that you are being manipulated or you are manipulating someone else.
- Being Naked in Public - When one feels too exposed or ashamed of themselves that often have this nightmare. This also shows that people find themselves socially inadequate, and vulnerable to ridicule.
- Being Chased - This is sign that you are avoiding something in your life and are refusing to deal with a problem that you have.
- Losing your Teeth - My grandma actually told me that she had this dream a couple of weeks ago. It indicates that you are insecure about your appearance and interactions with other people around you. It can also mean that you have a feeling of helplessness.
- Being Lost - You are losing or have already lost your right direction in life. This dream can also relate to the fear of not fitting in.
- Falling - This nightmare is similar to the dream of flying. When you are falling, this indicates that something in your life is out of control. This nightmare can also be linked to being betrayed by a trusted friend.
When I saw this video, I found it very interesting that people share the same nightmares because most of these fears engulf us in everyday life. This part of dreaming can be mostly linked to the social phenomenon of the Bio-Psycho-Social approach. Which nightmare do you have most often?
I wouldn't say that I can put any of my nightmares into one of these 10 boxes. Though I sometimes have stress dreams, it's not taking a test. Usually it's me forgetting about something (like: forgetting we had a test, assignment, that I had to do something.. even one year I think I just forgot it was the play and wasn't there for the play). Which I guess would make sense because sometimes I forget about things/ I procrastinate.
ReplyDeleteDreams are cool/weird.
I agree with Racheli, a lot of my nightmares are usually about me oversleeping or forgetting to study for a test or something like that. But it's still interesting to read about what people think certain types of dreams mean. I probably wouldn't be able to fit most of my dreams in these categories because I usually have the weirdest dreams ever. And a lot of them are scary. But I once read or heard or someone told me that they had a dream where all of their teeth fell out of their mouth, so if I figure out where I heard that from, that's cool.
ReplyDeleteI always get shot and die or come to school naked in my nightmares... Oops. This just got really awkward. I don't really think of myself as a failure or socially inadequate, but who knows... Maybe my subconscious is telling me to pull it together!
ReplyDelete