Sunday, November 17, 2013

Deathly Coffee.

Most people in America drink coffee. In fact if I would to want to buy into a business that has a high chance of not failing it would be Starbucks. What is this huge phenomenon that every one wants. Why is it that every house has a kireg machine? There is no way around it, there are millions of people addicted to coffee. The truth is, there not addicted to the coffee, they are addicted to the drug that's in it. Caffeine. The drug that no one associates as a drug. The drug that has taken over people lives.
What is with caffeine that makes it so great? So addicting? Is caffeine bad for you? Is it good? Most people don't think about those question. So let me try to enlighten the few people who read this blog all about the truth to caffeine.
Caffeine works by stimulated the central nervous system, heart, muscles and blood pressure. It is a stimulate drug. That is what it does. Therefore if someone is tired they will want caffeine so it can speed them up. It helps a lot with mental awareness. This is all good accept that there is a huge negative side to caffeine.
1. It is addicting. Your body gets used to the caffeine stimulating it and stops stimulating its self. Then you start to feel more tired so you just have more caffeine. Before you know it you will need 3 cups of coffee just to make it through your morning.
2. Lots of people say " I just drank coffee I am going to need to use the bathroom in a minute". That doesn't mean it is speeding up your metabolism. It is actually doing really bad thing to your body. Caffeine stimulates peristalsis. The processes of food going to through your digestive track. So instead of breaking it down quicker it sends food out of the stomach into the intestines with out it being fully broken down. This causes you to not get the full nutrients of the food and it gives you higher risk of irritation and inflammation within the gastrointestinal tract.
3. There are many small side effect to caffeine that people don't know about still and scientist haven't figured out yet.

After learning all this I probably will still have my coffee. Will you? Do you think that caffeine is actually bad for you or that people are just making a bigger deal out if it then it really is? Do you think caffeine is a drug that is ok to have as much as you want? Do you think there should be an awareness to the negativitys of caffeine?

7 comments:

  1. I need my coffee and that is all I have to say. It is not the most addicting of all the stimulants out there in the world. I have decided that there is a correlation (for me) of me not having coffee in the morning and having an annoyingly bad day. Though it might have negative side effects, it is the most commonly used drug in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here are the answers to some of your questions, Hudis. I have personally avoided drinking caffeinated drinks because I do not want to become addicted. Certainly, I think that people should be aware of the effects of the negative effects of caffeine. In fact, awareness is the key to stopping people from getting addicted to caffeine. Although I do not have personal experience with caffeine withdrawal, my mom certainly has. The major headache and sluggish feeling isn't worth it. While caffeine is helpful in the sense that it makes you more awake and alert, I wouldn't risk the negative effects just for a little extra energy. I don't think it is too wise to just allow people to have as much caffeine as they want because it is harmful. I am interested to hear other people's opinions on this though. What do the rest of you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Sarah. I have avoided coffee simply because I can't stand the taste but after learning about all of this I don't plan on trying it out again anytime soon. It does seem like we're exaggerating because of how normal it is to drink coffee, but it also seems to be clear that there are some serious drawbacks. I don't think coffee is all that harmful as long as people try to limit how often they drink it. Drinking it too often can lead to addiction and that has the potential to be dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think many people just don't realize the negative things caffeine can do to the human body, and the people that do figure this out probably do so from personal experience far too late. People just don't think of it as a real "drug." It's in tea, coffee, chocolate, etc., so it must be safe....My dad is horribly addicted to caffeine- days without at least one coffee break do NOT go over well. I think the safety concerns of too much coffee and caffeine in our diets are largely ignored or silenced. People know it can be addicting, but not the extent of addiction, and certainly nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caffeine in general is a touchy subject. No one wants to talk about how bad it is because everyone uses caffeine and loves it. Many times throughout history people thought a certain thing to eat or practice was fine for our health. That it didn't effect us negatively. However, many times things where proven wrong. I don't think that caffeine is on the same level as smoke, but it's a good example. People used to know that it wasn't good for you, but didn't know to what extent. Then scientists came out with more research and saw all the horrible things it really does to you. Maybe it is the same thing with caffeine. Someday caffeine might be looked down upon just like so many other drugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I drink coffee once or twice a week. I guess this isn't enough to get me hooked so I'm good, right?
    I remember being told growing up that I shouldn't drink coffee because too much caffeine can stunt your growth. I wonder if there's any truth to that claim..

    After a quick internet search:
    Apparently there is no direct link between caffeine and growth. However, too much caffeine can lead to sleep deprivation, which in turn can negatively influence proper growth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I drink coffee pretty regularly, but I definitely would not say I am an addict! I use it when I did not get much sleep and really need a boost to get through my day. That being said, I do not drink coffee daily, and never have more than one cup a day! I understand that it can harm me, but unfortunately sometimes I literally cannot function without an artificial source of energy. Oops. Better than meth or LSD, right?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.