Monday, November 4, 2013

Lucid Dreaming

I have heard many times about the concept of lucid dreaming, but I never really looked deeply into it. Lucid dreaming, on simple terms, is knowing you are dreaming. Usually this happens while in the middle of a dream. Suddenly you are hit with the realization that it is not reality, that you are dreaming. Sometimes it is even possible to control what happens in your dream while lucid dreaming. Some people can lucid dream easier than others, and there are ways to train yourself to experience lucid dreaming:



In one study, an EEG was used to monitor a person's dreams. The dreamer used predetermined eyelid motions to send the message that they were lucid dreaming, and the EEG showed that it was during REM sleep. Exactly what goes on during the REM sleep that allows us the ability to lucid dream is unclear. Dr. Matthew Walker, a sleep lab director at Berkeley, gives the opinion that the lateral prefrontal cortex, which helps with logic, should be inactive during sleep, but it happens to awaken during a dream and, therefore, combines logic and dreaming to produce lucid dreams.

Whatever the reason may be for lucid dreaming, the whole concept is SO COOL. I'm thinking I might have to try it out. What do y'all think about lucid dreaming? Would you give it a try?


3 comments:

  1. Whoah, so cool, man.
    I don't think I would want lucid dreams. I kinda talked about this in my post.
    They seem super cool, but I think I'd go insane if I had them. I wouldn't ever want to wake up cause I could control everything in my dreams. I wonder why some peoples prefrontal lobes just activated while sleeping... Is that a problem? Quite odd if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really interesting. I never knew that lucid dreaming was an actual thing. I assumed it was made up. I still though have some problems with it. It seems so simple and that it makes so much sense. In reality there's no way its that easy. There must be thousands of things you need to do in order to really have a lucid dream. So while lucid dreaming can be possible I doubt it would work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We wrote literally the same post and it's freaking me out.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.