First, let's define operant conditioning. Operant conditioning is learning to associate a behavior (a response) with the consequences of this behavior and thus to repeat acts followed by good results and to avoid acts followed by bad results. Organisms associate their own actions with consequences. Learning takes place after the response and is used to impact future behavior.
Operant conditioning is based off the ideas of Edward L. Thorndike and B.F. Skinner. Thorndike introduced his law of effect which is the basis of operant conditioning. His idea was the principle that behaviors followed by favorable consequences become more likely and that behaviors followed by unfavorable consequences become less likely. Skinner developed a behavioral technology that revealed principles of behavior control. Skinner designed an operant chamber, otherwise known as a Skinner box, containing a bar or key that an animal can manipulate to obtain a food or water reinforcer. Attached devices record the animal’s rate of bar pressing or key pecking. To form behavior, Skinner used shaping, a procedure in which reinforcers guide behavior toward closer and closer approximations of the desired behavior.
The first part of the four-minute, twenty-two second clip, is of Penny doing behaviors that are favorable in Sheldon's eyes. She clears his plate, assures he has a seat on the couch, remains quiet, and takes her phone call outside. Each time she does so, she receives a chocolate. Sheldon was using positive reinforcement to strengthen Penny's response. Sheldon added a desirable stimulus, the chocolate, following the correct behavior so that it would continue.
Leonard realizes this, and is soon offered a chocolate for his correct assumption. He declines, but Sheldon assures him that he can train Penny to jump out of the pool bouncing a beach ball on her head (that had me laughing). When Leonard forbids Sheldon from applying the principles of operant conditioning on Penny, Sheldon sprays Leonard with water, therefore using positive punishment to stop the behavior. He administered an aversive stimulus to cease the behavior or response from occurring again.
Sheldon then tells Leonard that if he were to use negative reinforcement, he could train Penny by the time they were ready to go to sleep. In negative reinforcement, Sheldon would remove something each time so that for example, Penny's voice could be lowered to a more "pleasing register."
Anyways, I found this video incredibly entertaining. On a side note, Sheldon ends his plans by making warm milk and then going to sleep (a reference to the sleep chapter)!
Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
For your viewing pleasure, here is the video.
Noga, you have just made my day! First of all, Big Bang Theory is my all time favorite sit-com!! I like how Sheldon stepped away from this physics-y talk and stepped into some psychology that I understand. I think it is cool to see people being trained through operant conditioning because, when I think of it, I think of animals like seals or dogs. Also, Sheldon said "Keep the decibles down!" LOL I love it!
ReplyDeleteGreat blog Noga! It's so much fun to relate psychology to TV shows. It's really cool that they plainly talk about operant conditioning. I've never really watched the show, but it's interesting to see how these ideas work in real life. It's so much easier to understand!
ReplyDeleteNoga, this was incredibly entertaining to read and watch! As the other two commenters have said, it was interesting to see Sheldon break out of his physics shell and comedically use concepts from psychology on Penny. I guess the main idea here is that we all use operant conditioning in some form or another constantly. Yesterday, I positively reinforced the behavior of kids davening Mincha by giving them candy after Shabbat. I think Sheldon's version of Operant Conditioning was far more entertaining than mine, but both manifestations to influence the performance of a certain behavior, either by encouraging it or by discouraging it.
ReplyDeleteThis is so interesting! Besides for the fact that it was pretty entertaining, it was really helpful for me. Like Sophie, when I think of operant conditioning I just think of dogs and seals and training things. it's really cool to see a real-life (almost) example of this! thanks!
ReplyDelete