There are very few things that I consider to be less exhilirating than watching a psychology video about memory, but for this one, I took notes that I would like to share with the rest of the class:
- Memory is the essential feature that enables uas as humans to exist
- Learning - the acquisition of knowledge --> everything learning is memory
- Three levels of memory
- 1) Sensory Memory
- 2) Short-term memory
- 3) Long-term memory
- Most memory is stored in the hippocampus
I'm not going to bore you with the rest of my notes... Wait! I forgot one last point I took while watching the video:
Heisman Predictions
- Manti Te'o - LB/Notre Dame
- Collin Klein - QB/Kansas St.
- Johnny Manziel - QB/Texas A & M
There you have it, folks! Kampf strikes again with another spot on prediction of the heisman trophy winner. But wait, I will now correlate my most important bullet point I took on the video with psychology and memory. You see, throughout the year I come home every saturday night and check the college football scores and stats of the day, and I always make sure to pay extra attention to any players that could be potential heisman winners. So, when I get home when saturday night and see that Johnny Football, a freshman no less, has defeated the seemingly invincible Alabama Crimson Tide, I am shell-shocked and at that moment I knew he was going to win. Every winner of the heisman must have that "Heisman Moment" or what we call in psychological terms flashbulb memory. That one play or game that stands out due to an emotional significance that most other games do not have, and that game against the Tide had its major emotional effect and probably single-handedly won Johnny Manziel the heisman trophy. So, as I sit watching the film, and deciding who I should pick as the heisman winner, I was not sure until one of the psychology dudes said that an event that is emotional we will remember more, and, at that point, I knew that Johnny Football was the unequivocal front-runner.

I find flashbulb memories to be quite intriguing. I think it is fascinating that just because something has incredible significance we could memorize it better. On the night of the Batman Premiere when there was a shooting in Aurora, I was dead-tired as it was 3am when I was in D.C. (I went to the premiere that night and my flight was at 6am). Despite being exhausted, after seeing the incident on television, I was in utter shock. If you were to ask me now, I could tell you what room number my hotel was, what time it was on the dot when I saw it, where I was in the room, what I was doing that night, etc. This was all because it was a flashbulb memory. Quite incredible.
ReplyDeleteInteresting analysis Bentzie. I, for one, totally didn't see it coming that Manziel would win. But apparently, MANziel is the MAN! I would like to throw in a neurological basis for these flashbulb memories. Since these memories occur at times of high emotional arousal, the amygdala kicks in. The amygdala is the mechanism in your brain in charge of arousal. So when you felt aroused by Texas A&M shocking the world by beating Alabama, your amygdala was producing hormones, which activated your brain more and allowed you to sear that memory into your brain.
ReplyDelete