Sunday, December 9, 2012

Chunking

Around the same time everybody did the 7A assignment, I noticed that students were particularly interested with the term "chunking." And by interested, I mean obsessed: some students loved it so much, they thought that it was included on the Units 5 and 6 test we took this week. Chunking is organizing items into familiar, manageable units. Chunking often occurs automatically, and so we take it for granted. For instance, if you're studying for a vocabulary test, you may find yourself remembering words based on similar spellings and definitions that your brain can group together. A personal example would be when I'm studying for an APUSH test. My notes are divided into slides, so I may find myself chunking the information into different sections of my notes or different time periods. It's an interesting memory technique, and I'm glad we got to delve into it a bit this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.