Monday, October 31, 2011

Parenting Styles

For some reason I am always EXTRA interested when we learn about parents and the influences they have on their children. (Well, maybe it is because I'm obsessed with being a parent, but that's besides the point.) This is why I really enjoyed our lesson on the three different parenting styles: Authoritarian, Permissive, and Authoritative.
I believe the overall consensus in class was that authoritative parents are the best and that all parents should strive to fit that model. Authoritative parents are parents who have structure and rules, but there is an explanation and an approach of why a child must do something. I definitely think this is a great way of parenting but maybe, depending on the needs and personality of each child, authoritarian parenting should be thrown into the mix at times (CERTAINLY NOT ALWAYS). For example, sometimes children need a little bit of authoritarian parenting. They need to learn that sometimes they have to do something even if they don't know why. Furthermore, there are definitely some instances where a parent needs to be strict and firm with their child. I think this very important for teenagers because they can get wild and do dangerous things, which can be very scary for a parent. Sometimes being strict can let some stress off of a parent, and ensure them that their child is safe. However, being strict needs to be done in the right way. There is absolutely no need for yelling or getting physical. That will only make the situation worse.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you, but I also believe that in the end, it depends on the child. I know some parents who are very strict with their children, yet they also have a pretty good relationship with them. If the parents do choose a more authoritarian way of raising their children, I think building a strong relationship with their children will lead them in a better direction no matter what way they choose. (unless they do not care about what their kids do at all)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also always very obsessed with the parenting Alexa, you are not alone.
    I agree with Aviva. There are children who are just naturally wild and rambunctious. No matter how strict the parents are, that little one will always be a mischievous kid. Although parenting has A GINORMOUS influence on the child's development and will affect the child FOREVER(i cant stress that nay more)you cannot completely change the child.It just sometimes happens that one is a little more wild. Good parents will control that child but they will have to understand that their child didnt meant to be a little a child which is ok! every child is different and special. and personally, as long as i dont have to babysit or raise those children- they are so much more fun to be around!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.