Sunday, October 21, 2012

The Smells That Made My Hypothalamus Go Nuts!

Today was the annual ASBEE BBQ Contest. The sun was shining, the birds were chirping, and the barbecue was smelling mighty tasty! I walked past every booth at the contest and grew hungrier and hungrier  throughout the day. I saw Mrs. Perl walking across the blacktop and was so excited to tell her that my Hypothalamus was making me hungry, but I didn't get a chance to talk to her. I thought more about it and found it so fascinating that the Hypothalamus in our brain controls our hunger and not our stomachs. Everybody always talks about how their stomach is growling because they are hungry, but really your brain tells you when you're hungry. The brain is truly the quarterback of the body. It calls the plays and executes them with precision and efficiency. I never really appreciated the brain before taking this class, but now I see that it is the most complex thing in the world.

1 comment:

  1. good post gabe. I like the comparison to the quarterback. Just to add, there are other functions of the hypothalamus such as controlling thirst, body temp., sexual activity, arousal, parenting, perspiration, blood pressure, heart rate, shivering, pupil dilation, shivering, and sleep (3D brain app).

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.