Sunday, October 21, 2012

Magic of the Cerebellum

          7, 6, 5, 4, 3. Only 3 seconds left in my basketball game, down by 1, and I get fouled. I am going to the line to shoot 2. Unfortunately, I miss the 1st shot. The second shot goes in and out. I run up to get the ball with 3 seconds, run it back a few steps while a fast guy is guarding me, 2 seconds, and then set myself up for my shot, 1 second left, and I pop the shot with perfect balance. It goes in and I win the game for my team! The only reason my team won that game is because of my magical cerebellum. If i did not have a cerebellum, then I can guarantee that there is no way that shot would get in, and I would probably get stuffed and sent back home.
          My cerebellum helps me with my athletics and balance as well as controlling my procedural memory. This basically means that it is thanks to the cerebellum that I learn the fundamentals of basketball. Additionally, my procedural memory, which is controlled by my cerebellum, helped me learn how to ride a bike. It helped me learn the procedure of riding a bike. It's a good thing I have a cerebellum or else I probably would be a lot heavier due to the lack of bike riding. Wow, the magic of the cerebellum.

1 comment:

  1. I gotta say Akiva, your example was exhilarating, and I agree that the cerebellum is truly magical. I actually think that the cerebellum and procedural memory help contribute to the nature-nurture debate. Is one's ability to make shots and keep perfect balance genetic, or does it take practice for your brain to help you perform athletic activities with efficient skill?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.