Sunday, October 21, 2012

Applying what we learned this week to a classroom setting…during class

This week, we basically learned about how your brain processes the information transferred from your senses. And let me tell you, this stuff freaked me out (in a good way). First off, we learned how the sense of what you touch and hear go to your brain. Basically, one side of your brain processes information taken from the other side of your body. For instance, when you touch a pencil with your left hand, the information travels to your right brain. We also learned the same thing applies to your ears. What's weird about your brain taking in information from the opposite side is that it applies to ALL sides--not just right and left, but up and down as well. In other words, whatever you feel with your feet, that information is processed at a literally higher level in your brain than the things you perceive higher up on your body. While we were learning these things, I realized I was holding a pen in my left hand. I realized that everything I felt on my left hand was being processed in my right brain! I can't explain it but that just weirded me out. I then realized that my feet were sort of constrained in my shoes. That means that the feeling of restraint from my feet is processed in a higher part of my brain than what my hand was feeling when I touched my pen. The fact that I was able to apply the information we were learning WHILE we were actually learning it was an interesting and, believe it or not, satisfying experience as a whole, and I'm glad I'm learning a subject that is so fascinating yet so simple to grasp (no pun intended).

2 comments:

  1. I find the same thing to be fascinating. In addition to what you mentioned on how the right side controls the left and vise versa, I also thinks all of the individual parts to the brain are just as fascinating, and each part plays a pivotal role in how our brain functions. My question is why did G-d flip around the whole thing making our right side of our brain control the left and the left control the right? Seems counter-intuitive. But I agree with you in that it is so cool that while we are learning about certain functions of the brain, we ourselves are utilizing those functions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also thought it was really wierd. I mean, we were learning about the brain functions and what happens when you talk, type, or listen and then we would talk, type, or listen, and those things would be going on in the brain that we are learning while we are learning them. It is odd. I want to look at someones brain as they talk or listen to another person, and actually see what is going on as it happens. (I do knot it is not ethical, but it would be cool).

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.