In class we learned that there are different things involved with Problem Solving such as either guessing and checking or following a systematic way of doing it. When I used to solve problems such as in the ACT or SAT math, I always followed the steps that we learned it class (not being aware of them). Now that I have thought of it though, I realized that I follow these steps and I therefore think that most people do too( Tel me if I am wrong). Therefore I guess, if someone knows how to solve a problem systematically, he has learned from exerience how to do it, or remembers how to solve something like that since he has done something simliar to that before.
I now do not understand anymore, how the ACT or SAT can measure ones intelligence by looking at their past problem solving skills if that mostly shows if you have done something like that before (Which does not show much, but that you remember that you have done something like that before). Maybe we will learn this in the next chapter, since it speaks about inteligence, but do you guys agree with me, or want to enlighten me about something?
I now do not understand anymore, how the ACT or SAT can measure ones intelligence by looking at their past problem solving skills if that mostly shows if you have done something like that before (Which does not show much, but that you remember that you have done something like that before). Maybe we will learn this in the next chapter, since it speaks about inteligence, but do you guys agree with me, or want to enlighten me about something?
Hello sister,
ReplyDeletewhat a wonderfully insightful thing you have written.
When we wer talking about problem solving i actually thought about the same thing. When im presented with a math problem in the ACT i often try to use teh same pattern taht i have learned in class. Obviously, i never get teh right answer and i always overcomplicate it because i cant think of an easier way to do it since im so used to always doing it in the same pattern. This just showed me that so very often are we unable to solve problems because we are so used to doing it a certain way.
Greetings sister,
ReplyDeleteI think that is a problem that many people have, but at least now you know exactly what your problem is, which is the first step. The second step is trying to overcome it. You can do it!
I definitely think you are right. We learn problem solving skills, for math problems for example, which helps us work them out on tests. I also think that problem solving is learned from experiencing different situations in life, and your ability to solve problems. I agree that the ACT and SAT cannot always measure one's intelligence also because intelligence is not simply the ability to solve math problems, it is also our ability to adapt easily to new situations. But, as we learned this past week, intelligence tests, like the IQ test, are given in order to try to measure people's intelligence because right now there is not a much better way to do so.
ReplyDelete