Hello my dear fellow classmates,
Mrs. Perl sent us a lovely article this week. It explained why we dreamed and provided an experiment that was made in order to see if their theory was right. In the article they claimed that when we dream we recall our painful and troubling memories in order to soothe them. It was quite interesting and I believe that the scientists might have been right. But I would like to connect this article to something else. We are all familiar with the idea that getting over something painful and sad “takes time.” Some troubling events and memories take longer to heal than others, but hopefully the trauma, horror, sadness, anger of the memory does fade(although it might not be forgotten.) In time, you do get over the guy who broke your heart, that mean girl that called you fat, and that time you’re mom was “being mean” and punished you. Some of the more traumatic things such as the loss of a close friend, family member, the love of your life or a near death experience might take a longer to heal and might require a little help, but in the end(hopefully in most cases) the pain does fade. I always found it remarkable that time makes the pain go away. After having read this article I wondered whether it’s not really time that helps us get past things and let go of them. Is it just the fact that we dream that helps us get past them? However, dreaming only tales place every night and because some events might take longer to process and overcome the pain. So do you think that it was not really time but rather dreaming which takes time that helps us to get over certain things that happen in our life?
This is very interesting. I think that it is just time. In class we read about all of the different theories about why we dream, and I personally liked a mix of two of them. I think we dream because our brain's won't degenerate, and that we dream about stuff that happened in our days. I do not believe that dreams help us get over things- they're just our thoughts mushing together without focus into weird dreams, because, for me, that is what happens. I'll be thinking about something during the day, and at night it comes up in my dream in a weird way, mixing with things that might have at one point crossed my mind.
ReplyDeleteDreams are just confusing!
But maybe they do help us get over things... It is a mystery.
This is interesting! As Zahava said, dreams are a mystery, but this is a good theory! Since according to one theory dreams help us sort out the days' events, they probably do help us with the difficulties that we had that day. However, this is not the case for some people. I think that dreams could be included in the idea of "time" healing things. After all, we dream every night, so over a period of time, it is possible that these dreams are helping us slowly get over whatever issues that come about in our lives. (Obviously the more difficult things are harder to get over, but it is still possible that dreams help soothe us as well) Also, dreams occur while we are sleep and taking a break from the stress that occurs in our day, so this probably contributes to the healing process.
ReplyDelete