Sunday, September 4, 2011

Poor Lucy

As I was reading through chapter one in our book, I came across a cute comic entitled "Peanuts" on page 45. In this comic, a boy and a girl are playing baseball together, and the boy is disgusted by the terrible baseball skills Lucy has. The boy says, "Lucy, you're the worst player in the history of the game!" In all seriousness, Lucy probably isn't the worst player in the history of the game of baseball and the boy's statement had no proof (as Lucy pointed out). This is a cute cartoon, but it also sheds light unto our own lives. There are probably many times in a day where you make a complete generalization and exaggeration. For example, think about how many times you've said, "That's the funniest thing I've ever heard." If you really think about it, all of this is part of our every day lives. We are always saying these strong statements about the tiniest things. I also think this has something to do with overconfidence and 'underconfidence.' Someone's confidence or boldness will stir them to make these huge statements. Usually when you say these short yet powerful sayings, you feel very sure of yourself, and if anyone were to argue you would have justification right at the tip of your tongue. To conclude, I think we should all try to work on how much we make these generalizations and exaggerations because they can come to hurt someone's feelings like poor Lucy who doesn't know how to play baseball very well. They can also come back to bite you in the future.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely think you are right about this! I think that people always make such huge statements like this because it has become a part of our daily lives. I always hear people saying things like "that's the funniest thing I've ever heard" or "That's the stupidest thing you've ever said." Things like this have become such a big part of our lives that most people don't think twice before making these statements. I agree that it would hurt one's feelings if somebody criticized something they said in such a dramatic manner. It's true that everyone should always think before speaking!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.