Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Hello my dear fellow classmates,

My dear friend Zahava posted about drugs, ranting about how unbelievably stupid she thinks it is that people do drugs. This reminded me about something I would like to share with you that I have heard so many times from so many different people, some of whom were actually creditable (Mrs. Perl!!!). I even researched if this theory was actually true and now I would like to hear what you lovely people have to say. Research shows that in a family in which the parents and children have dinner every night, the percentage of them abusing drugs is slimmer than families who do not have dinner every night. (For those of you who don’t have dinner with your parents I’m not implying anything, I promise!)

4 comments:

  1. Well Carmit, I am proud to say that my family and I eat dinner together every night. Of course none of us do drugs (Thank G-d!), however, this is not going to be true in all cases. I think that a big part of the whole concept of a family eating together is the idea of having family traditions or wanting to spend time with your family. Some families who are under the influence of drugs probably do not care so much about spending time with their families and following tradition. They will be preoccupied with their own thoughts or concerns and tend to care less about their family's needs or desires. The lack of care and attention on the family aspect might lead their children to do drugs as well because they are upset with their lives and family conditions and assume that since their parents do drugs, it is okay for them to do drugs as well. Obviously, not all families are on the same schedules and ,therefore, do not eat dinner together. This is perfectly normal! These are my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aviva, I agree with many of the things that you said, that it will not be true in all cases, but the lack of care and attention might lead the children to do drugs. Speaking of personal experience I heard that many teenagers in Memphis are in jail because their parents are in jail and therefore they did not have a good example to follow. I guess the eating dinner, is more known in families where there is a good structure and good morals and teachings that will lead to not doing drugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, this is a tad but awkward considering my family doesn't eat together during the week, but that's besides the point! I definitely think that eating together as a family is great. It's a way for families to settle down after their busy days and just talk. However, I don't think that it has a major link to whether or not a child will end up using drugs. There are many other factors that play into it. Who their friends are, what tv shows they watch, etc. I think parents need to be more aware of what their child is up to. They shouldn't be allowed to just do whatever. Parents should know who their child is hanging out with, how they are excelling in school, etc. If parents are not connected to their children in any way, then that could lead to a child using drugs. This connection can be made at a dinner table but there are many other ways as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello all! i just wanted to add on to what sharon said and kind of connect that to chapter 3 nature vs nurture. Just like children whose parents end up in jail follow in their footsteps so too do parents have a great impact on their children's lives. By eating dinner with them they might prevent them from many harmful things in life. In addition,by creating a calm, stable and happy environment, they will raise a child that will be able to function successfully! therefore, if the parents dont go to jail, teh children's chance of going to jail are slimmer(as Sharon stated.) This is the case for almost any situation.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.