Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Hello my dear fellow classmates,

So I actually went on line and found a really interesting article that I felt like sharing. I am convinced that this will be a great topic to discuss amongst ourselves since it is a debate that is going on to this day. We all learned that a psychologist is a little different from a psychiatrist. Psychiatrists are doctors and have the ability to prescribe medication to their patients. Many people feel highly uncomfortable with the fact that psychiatrists have the ability to prescribe us with medication. Obviously, the article brought forth numerous examples of psychiatrists who sometimes prescribed patients with an unnecessary or sometimes even incorrect medication. Now here are my questions: Do you think that psychiatrists should have the right to prescribe medication to patients (since many don’t even consider them real doctors)? Do you think that should only be a doctor’s job (although they make mistakes as well)? Let me know what you think!

7 comments:

  1. Just want to clarify. Psychiatrists go to medical school, complete an internship and residency and then specialize in psychiatry. They are just as much "real doctors" as a cardiologist or internist is a real doctor. I think the current debate Carmit mentioned is whether psychologists-who did not go to medical school and do not have a medical degree-should be allowed to prescribe some common drugs used in psychology. In this regard, the psychologist is more similar to a nurse practitioner who, although he/she didn't go to medical school, has the ability to prescribe certain medications. Feel free to comment and discuss your thoughts as to whether psychologists should be given the tight to prescribe-I just wanted to clarify the terminology being used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the field of psychology, I think that psychiatrists should be the only ones to give medications out. They go through medical school, an internship, and a residency. They are definitely 'prepared' and have the knowledge to prescribe medication. Unlike psychiatrists, psychologists do not go through medical school or have a medical degree. This is why I believe that under no circumstance should psychologists be giving out medications, even common drugs. I believe there is a problem of safety because you are giving the power of prescription to a profession that studies basic science less than others who prescribe drugs. Also, because psychologists are cheaper, people may start going to psychologists for the medication not for the therapy. If people start going to psychologists instead of psychiatrists, psychiatrists will lose business. I do not think this would be fair especially since psychiatrists have to go through much more schooling and training than a psychologist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that psychologists can suggest medicine to be used and then the patient will be referred to a doctor who works with the psychologist, and get the prescription filled there.
    I think it might kind of work that way. My grandfather and uncles are psychologists, and I am almost positive that my grandfather will suggest medicine or something, but he can't actually write one out. But I am not positive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, I also just wanted to add this:
    If you are a patient who needs to be given drugs, perhaps you should see a psychiatrist instead. For example, the psychologist could refer you to a good psychiatrist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that psychiatrist have a right to suscribe medicine since they studied (to become a psychiatrist) and learned to deal with giving drugs to people and the amount and for what reason. They are to a certain extend doctors and I feel like they know what they are doing, and since they spend more time with the person actually anylizing his problem, I feel like it's sometimes better that a psychiatrist gives out the medicine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. On the other hand, psychologist did not go to medical school or get an interniship and therefore they are not as experienced and should not give out medicine, like Zahava so wisely said, the pychologist should then refer the person to a good psychiatrist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for your clarification Mrs Perl. I just wanted to say that i thought that all your comments were very interesting. Its always nice to see what other people think about a certain subject. I pretty much agreed with most of your opinions. I think that Psychologist shouldnt necessarily prescribe medication since technically that isnt part of their field. Nevertheless, if medication is necessary the patient should be referred to a psychiatrist and let him determine which drugs are appropriate to proscribe. Because if Psychologists receive the right to give medications for minor cases we wont know where to draw the line between major and minor cases. Then, eventually Psychologists might give medication to people they shouldt be giving medication to since their background and education in that are isnt as adequate and sufficient enough to make that sort of decision.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.