I know we have only breafly discussed the debate between nature vers nurture, but I wanted to ask you what your thoughts are on that debate before we are going to learn it. After we have learned it you might come back to your comment and see how your view point has changed, and how much knowledge you gained.
To what extend does nature or nurture affect us in our everyday lives, and which one is the reason for our actions?
Do not be scared to state your opinion because every opinion has a value :)
My dearest sister,
ReplyDeleteyou have posted a remarkable question and i will attempt to explain what my thoughts are on the subject. Firstly, i think that all of us are born with some characteristics that are genetic. For example,if you have a parent that is extremely impatient, it is very possible that you will inherit that personality trait. Nevertheless, i do not think that that is true for all cases, just some. also, if one does inherit a trait, it does not always mean that he will remain that way. Human beings are capable of change if they are taught the right tools in order to promote change. If, for example, that impatient parent tragically dies and the child is now only left with the other parent who conveniantly happens to be extremely patient is now in that child's life. I believe that now since the child is only exposed to his mother, she might change his personality trait. The environment most definitely affects and shapes a person. That is why it is so important with whom we hang out and chose to have in our lives and let in. In conclusion, i think that although nature does have some effect on our personality, the nurture aspect is a much larger aspect of our life and can have a great affect on us without us even noticing.
Sharon,
ReplyDeleteI believe that both nature and nurture influence the people we are and will become, but I believe that it is nurture that has the stronger influence. We see so many things in the world around us, but as Jews we can separate ourselves from their influences. The world around us will eat non-kosher and do whatever they can because they aren't following Torah, but because our parents raise us in a certain way, we remain observant Jews, and certainly we have different values than the people who surround us. In a society like today's, where things such as divorce and cheating are becoming more common, we try to stay away from these things. Why? Because our parents have raised us to be this way. We might be totally different people if born into a different family (jewish or not). We would be similar in some ways- what food we like or dislike, what movies we like or dislike, and things of the same sort. But we would be different too.
Therefore, I believe that the nurture aspect has a greater affect on us than the nurture aspect.
Sharon, I think that this type of question is an excellent one because we can always come back and reflect on our opinions!
ReplyDeleteSo, I think that both nature and nurture play significant roles in our lives. It cannot be either nature or nurture that affects who we are and how we act. Firstly, we are all born with traits and qualities like our families. But, obviously the nurture aspect of our lives plays a huge role in our daily lives as well. There are plenty of people who learn from their friends and the outside world and adopt the culture and values or bad things they might encounter in the world. However, I know for myself that no matter how much I learn from the outside world, the nature aspect still plays a huge role in my life. I have qualities like my parents, and I have been brought up a certain way This shows that I will always have those qualities or characteristics along with the nurture aspect, which I adopt throughout my daily life as an equal part of my life.