I don't know about you but whenever I come across a left handed person I get excited! Left handedness seems so different and exciting! However, in reality, there isn't much of a difference between lefties and righties. Left- handers are more numerous than usual among those with reading disabilities, allergies, and migraine headaches. However left-handedness is also more common among musicians, mathematicians, professional athletes, architects, and artists. As you can see, in the end, it all balances out!
Another thing that interests me is how people use their left hand for some activities/tasks and their right hand for other activities/tasks. For example, some people may shoot a basketball with their right hand but write and eat with their left hand. Why do you think that is? It is hard for me to fathom because my left hand is so much weaker than my right hand. I can't imagine using both successfully. This also gets me thinking on another topic. Why do we tend to chew on a specific side of our mouths. I chew on the right side of my mouth, and I use my right hand. Do you think there is a relationship between the two? Let me know what you think!
That's really weird because tonight I was thinking about how I was chewing with the left side and how weird it was, because I am a righty. I wonder if there is any relationship. I actually have a really interesting book about left handers and how they are "superior." The book says at least 1/10 is left, and Dr. Bryng Bryngelson of the University of Minnesota said that left handed people are more creative and imaginative.
ReplyDeleteAlso, Jack the Ripper and the Boston strangler were left handed. Supposedly, left handers are 3 times more apt to become alcoholics.
Left handers have a hard life- cameras are most certainly made for the right handed people of the world! Since the Bronze Age tools have been made mostly for right handed people. Guitars are made for right handers but Jimi Hendrix restrung his guitar so he could play.
Which hand you use is an indication of which side of the brain you've tapped into (we know both hemispheres have different functions and work together). The left handed brain thinks more in pictures and the right thinks in words and analytical and sequential thoughts.
Sigmund Freud senses the presence of the left handed brain but he couldnt identify it so he just labeled it the unconscious, though now we know it is just as alive as the right,
Apparently, the left side of the brain does the dreaming and gives us our feelings and intuitions.
According to this book, life as a lefty is hard and full of scientific facts.
This is such an interesting observation! I think that some people have a greater ability to use their right and left hands almost equally, and some cannot use their weaker hand in most cases.For example, I could think of a time when somebody asked me to write with my left hand, and it looked like a five year old wrote it. I am definitely a lot weaker in my left hand than my right! Also with chewing, I never actually noticed which side or if there is a side I use to chew more than the other. I will think about that next time I chew and see if I tend to chew more on the right since I am right-handed!
ReplyDeleteThis is so wonderful!I love how you thought about this. I personally have this theory that when you are young you pick a pencil up with one hand, and get practice with that hand over the years. Therefore Aviva I feel like you wrote like a five year old, because you have not had that experience and it is like in the beginning when you first picked up a pencil.
ReplyDeleteI sometimes eat with my left hand without noticing it, I chew on both sides and Strenghwise, Im as strong with my left hand as with my right hand.