Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Drugs

We are currently working on questions in chapter for homework, and the answer to question 3 interested me. The question was about drugs and how they affect neuro-transmissions, and about agonists and antagonists.
The book explained that we don’t want to use to many chemicals to boost our endorphins, because when flooded with opiate drugs the brain might stop making its own natural opiates. And then once the drug is not used anymore, the brain will have no opiate.
Basically you are messing up your brain. So why do people who are perfectly happy and are just hanging out with their friends at a party use drugs? You know you are only causing harm to yourself. And why do people let their friends do it? You're only being a horrible, horrible friend. And when you push other people to do it- that's also a terrible (if not worse) friend. People need to stop acting like when you're young you should have fun and experience with drugs.
Does it not disturb you?

5 comments:

  1. My intellectual Zahava,
    I do not know enough information about this topic to fully answer your question. i will, nonetheless, attempt to tell you what i do know.
    Firstly, let me tell you that there are many highs that we experience in our daily lives. When you accomplish a swell essay, our dreadful psychology questions or a huge test, you not only feel grateful that it is over with, but also accomplished and satisfied that you were able to do it. Sometimes, we receive other highs in our daily life. When the cutest guy you know asks you out, when your best friend has your back or when your mom compliments you, you experience a high in a way- a high of happiness.Accomplishing and receiving these highs are very important to our happiness. Many people feel like they are failures in school or at work and do not accomplish what they want and cannot reach that high that they crave for. Furthermore, many don't have loved ones surrounding them and, therefore are never as happy as they should be. Drugs provide a high that is not only easy to accomplish but also much stronger. People do not have to work hard to experience that high, they do not need loved ones to make them happy; they are independent. drugs and alcohol can also cause you to forget, for just a little while, how unhappy you are with your self and with your life and you can just focus on how easily you can make yourself happy with other things. I think that at this point we all know that many people use drugs as an escape from life in order to just be happy for a short moment. They would rather take the easy way out and have a stronger high rather than working hard to accomplish a natural high.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure that everyone who uses drugs understand all the negative effects that it has on our bodies, such as that they are messing up their brains. I think most of those people have serious problems, that cause them to make descisions that they would not do if they would be in another state of mind. They do not think clearly, but they just want a way out.

    Other people think that it is just a one time thing, or that they won't do it a lot therefore they just want to enjoy and have fun, not even realizing how much they are hurting themselves.

    It's like when one says "I shouldn't eat that piece of cake, but it tastes good, so I am going to eat it because I want to enjoy the moment and one piece of cake will not hurt me!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. people who are unhappy should tell people instead of messing up their minds. and people need to be aware of other people, because if they are unhappy we should be know in order for us to stop them from doing something rash. these people are getting the drugs from someplace and their friends must notice, and someone should stop the drug abuse... its so sad when friends let each other do that. that is what is always on the news. so i guess maybe these people dont actually have friends, because friends wouldnt do that to one another.

    people should learn from the age of 5 why drugs are bad, because by the time they are 15 they'll understand why its such an incredibly dumb thing to do. that and drink a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, first of all, I love this post. Secondly, I really like what you said. It is truly important for friends to look out for each other. A friend might not want to seem like a "bad" friend at first because by calling your friend out on something they think is "cool" or whatever, seems kind of rude. But, if a friend sees that their friends are really getting into trouble and that things are getting completely out of hand, they should step in and take control of the situation. Bash, you are the perfect type of friend who would immediately confront a friend when they do anything stupid and that is WONDERFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zahava, I find your post very interesting and important. The one thing I don't agree with is that people should learn why drugs are bad at the age of five. That might be a little too early!
    For the Rosh Chodesh chesed trip I went to Dozier House, an alcohol and drug rehabilitation facility for adult persons who are homeless. My experience there was ineffable. When we got there, the people introduced themselves in a way that was shocking to me. Here's an example: "Hi, I'm Jeff. I'm an alcoholic and addict. I'm 42 years old and I've been on the streets doing drugs since I was 15." The activity we did with them was painting flower pots. We might look at this as a boring, insignificant activity, but to them, it was something new and exciting. One of the patients expressed to me how much he was enjoying painting. He started to realize how you can have fun and enjoy yourself without doing drugs or sipping some alcohol. We should feel very lucky that we were raised in a environment that is more sheltered and not as exposed to these dangers. However, many people don't live like us. They are surrounded by it. One might live in a community where just about everyone is doing drugs. Who is supposed to stop these people? How does the chain get broken? Yes, it can be part of a school's curriculum, but I don't think that's enough. The situation almost seems helpless.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.