Saturday, August 31, 2013

Psychology and Autism

For the past two weeks, we have been learning the basic history of psychology. We learned about how psychology's definition has changed over time, from the thoughts of Plato and Aristotle up through modern psychologists. We also discussed whether psychology is a science or not and what forms of data gathering can be used in psychology and for what purpose they can be used.

For the project on Chapter 3a, Mrs. Perl asked us to find an outside source to discuss in our presentations. I immediately researched autism. As most all of you know, autism is particularly close to my heart because my brother was diagnosed with moderate-to-severe autism at the age of three. He is now almost thirteen. As a result of simply living in the same house as him, I probably know more about this psychological disorder and  the treatments than the average person. From a young age, my brother and I were both exposed to the world of various supplements, treatments and pills, each of which had a different purpose. Now, at the age of almost thirteen, my brother is taking anti-depressants among other medications. Why does he take these medications? What is autism?

Simply put, autism is a psychological disorder of unknown cause that causes an imbalance of chemicals, or neurotransmitters, in the brain. Every manifestation of autism is unique to the person it effects. However, common to most cases of autism is the imbalance of the chemical serotonin. As we all know, neurons communicate with each other by releasing neurotransmitters from one neuron and receiving those neurotransmitters in the next neuron. Serotonin, whose functions/messages include balancing mood and maintaining stable bodily functions, has been found in much lower (than normal) levels in autistic children. Normal children should have serotonin levels that are much higher than the average adult's levels. Autistic children between the ages of 3 and 8 were found to have only 1% more serotonin than adults. During a clinical study, autistic children were given a drug containing the extra serotonin that they were lacking. By the end of the study, the scientists found that the children's aggression was measurably reduced. This finding may lead scientists closer to finding the causes of autism as well as help them control the symptoms.

Right from the start of my study of psychology, I was intrigued by psychology's application to everyday life. Until I did this assignment, I had no idea that psychology would be so close to home. I look forward to learning more about the disorder that effects my brother and gaining a better understanding of what autism actually does to the mind. On a side note, I am grateful that scientists have created and tested drugs that can help balance the serotonin levels in my brother's brain so that he is not in a constant state of aggression and can enjoy his life.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Sarah,
    Thank you for sharing. I can't say that I know too much about autism, so this post was very informative for me. I wonder when they fill find the cause for autism. It's true what Mrs. Perl said- modern psychology is so new. But technology is advancing so quickly, so hopefully we'll get answers sooner rather than later.
    I think it's great that you can connect to psychology on this deeper, more personal level, and hope that you continue to learn more about autism (and let us know)throughout the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,
    I also think its very cool how you are able to relate to what we're learning in such a personal way. I also found it interesting to see how scientists are making progress in finding a cure and controlling the symptoms. Like Racheli said, technology is advancing so hopefully we're close to finding the cure. I hope as psych goes on we're able to continue applying it to our everyday lives like you have here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah,

    Your blog post was both personal and really informative to read. Discussing autism and adding your own experiences was so interesting. I hope that scientists will continue to progress further in their developments and will be able to find both a cause and a cure for autism. Connections to our lives lie everywhere in psychology, and I was glad to be able to see one made so potently.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.